Friday, November 4, 2011

Mid-Life Crisis Puppy - Rocket 4/11/11 - Present



Over the last few days you have met my canine crew both past and present and seen a little into their personalities.  Raja was my first dog to call my own, and followed me where ever I went.  My husband (Greg) had the loyalty and devotion of both Mopar and Buddy, and well Samson is indifferent to everyone.  Greg and I talked and the next dog that we chose would be mine.

So when we knew that our time with Mopar was getting shorter, you can guess what I was doing...  Yup..back looking at classified ads.  I really wanted another Border Collie/Rottweiler mix but was having no luck finding one so I searched for purebred Border Collies.  3 weeks before my 40th birthday we went to look at 3 puppies (2M and 1F).  The female was all over Greg, so I knew that we wouldn't be taking her home.    They were all tri-color but I was drawn to the male with all the "freckles".  One of the boys was rambunctious and the other was a little slow to come around. Needless to say I wasn't in love. 

After spending about an hour talking to the owner and seeing the parents and the puppies, we were about ready to leave without one.  The one with freckles must have sensed something because he came over to where I was sitting, climbed in my lap, put his paws around my neck and snuggled in.  In that instant, he won my heart. 

Now we just had to figure out a name for the little guy.  After 4 hours and about 500 names we finally decided on Rocket.  Boy is he living up to his name.  When he turns on the heat he is nothing but a blur.  I stayed at home with him for a few days, and then would work from home for about a week so that we could bond.  He is definitely a mommas boy.  He loves Greg but if I come into the room, he runs over by me.  He waits outside my bathroom door when I'm showering, and when Greg goes to give me a kiss, his face is right there.  It's OK for him to love on other people, but god forbid his momma should show any one other then him attention.

He is on constantly.  There are some moments when I miss having all geriatric dogs, or that I could find his off switch, but overall he is exactly what I wanted.  I've enjoyed the summer more and have become more active.  While most mid-life crisis include a sports car and a younger partner, mine includes a sporty puppy.   

When I took him to our vet, the vet and the techs all told Rocket what a lucky dog he was that we were his pawrents.  I know this is based on the fact that we did everything we could for Raja and Mopar and had the strength to know when it was time to let go, as well as the fact that the dogs have been in great health and not overweight.  What I hope will make me an even better pawrent to Rocket is all that I have learned from the previous 4, and that I'm taking the time to smell the roses with them instead of hurrying them home, because I need to work extra hours or there is something else I want to do.  Nothing is more important then my family.

2 comments:

  1. I loved accompanying you on the adventure of finding your next companion Rocket. Did having Rocket help you with the grief of losing Mopar? I dread the day that I lose my wonderful cats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeanne - It makes me smile that you have enjoyed the adventure, and adventure it is. Having Rocket and working on the bond between the two of us and training definitely helped with the grief of losing both Mopar and Raja. I will admit that because we brought Rocket home a week after we said goodbye to Mopar that I did feel guilty. It wasn't that I was trying to replace him which is one of the reasons we did not get another lab this time, but when you become used to having 3 dogs, there was a hole that needed to be filled...and Rocket as the perfect fit.

    I hope your cats are with you for a long long time. Give them scratches for me.

    ReplyDelete