Monday, November 7, 2011

Do you have Pet insurance?

Most of my co-workers laugh at me when I mention having pet insurance for my dogs.  That is, until their new puppy swallows something it can't pass, or their dog injures themselves.  Suddenly I am getting emails, phone calls or they stop by my desk.  Can I recommend a company, why did I choose one over the other etc.  Suddenly "that crazy doggie mama" has all the answers.

I have had insurance on all the dogs you met last week, and it gives me peace of mind to have it, even when I haven't had to use it yet.  Raja was the epitome of perfect health until the bone cancer and it allowed me to make choices that I might not have been able to meet if I didn't have it.  Mopar used it more than anyone...pneumonia from aspirating his lung with a piece of dog food, CCL surgery, numerous ear infections and finally the amputation.  Thankfully I have not had to use it for Samson, Buddy or Rocket and I hope I don't need too...but hope is not a strategy so it is there if I need it.

Pets Health Plan - http://www.petshealthplan.com/ is the insurance that I had for Raja and Mopar and still have for Samson and Buddy.  The pay out has been quick and they have always been professional, however because of the plan I chose, there was a $1500 limit per incident.  It certainly helped defray the cost, but when dealing with cancer, I wish the limit had been higher.  Also, they as many others pay a percentage of reasonable costs, not actual costs.  Samson and Buddy are still on it mainly because they are considered "senior" dogs and to change now, the premiums would be more expensive. 

Trupanion - http://www.trupanion.com/ is the insurance I chose for Rocket.  I have big plans for Rocket and hope to have him in agility and other competitions, which opens him up to potential injuries.  After researching quite a few, I chose Trupanion because after the deductible that I chose, they will pay 90% of the actual costs incurred - less the dr. visit fee, and there is no limit per year, incident or lifetime of the pet.  For an additional nominal monthly fee, you can add hip displaysia before the dogs first birthday and within 30 days of the policy.  Many insurances consider this a hereditary disease and will not cover it.  Hip replacements can be expensive.

There are many other pet insurance companies out there:  Embrace, Petplan and VPI.  All of these have limits, premiums can increase based on your pet aging and the pay out is based on "reasonable costs" and not actual.  I know that my vet's a bit more expensive than those in the surrounding area, but we have been going to him for years, and I like that their office has both an oncologist and cardiologist in case referrals are needed.

Even if I never have to submit a claim for Buddy, Samson or Rocket, my mind is at ease, knowing if an accident occurred or cancer or any illness struck again, that I can base the decision to move forward with the treatment on what is best for my "fur" kid instead of what is best for my wallet.

3 comments:

  1. Wish we'd have had this for Annie. She just had her ACL repaired and part of her meniscus removed. And did I add she had her knee rotated? Even at the "bargain" price of $900 it was terribly expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wondered about getting pet insurance. I think it is actually a great idea. Thank you for the insight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. $900 is a bargain but you are right that it is still terribly expensive...but we hate to see them in pain. I was going to try and have him "rest" to see if that would help but keeping a lab "resting" was not going to happen.

    JD - there are a lot of options out there! It's been one of the best purchases I have made.

    ReplyDelete