Thursday, November 3, 2011

Best Inheritence Ever - Buddy 11/14/2002 - Present


Buddy was my brother-in-law Wayne's dog since he was a puppy.  We only saw him at family get togethers, and when he came over to our house he seemed a bit of a bully when it came to our white lab Mopar.  Poor Mopar would be standing in the middle of the yard, and Buddy would ram him head down from the side.  We were always a little concerned, but we just kept a watchful eye on him.  Like any nephew though, we spoiled him.  Our dogs exchanged Christmas presents.

He was Wayne's child and went everywhere with his Papa.  Wayne lived next to a bar, and Buddy knew when the bartenders changed shifts, so at each shift he would walk over to get his biscuit.  They even have his picture up in the bar. 
In late 2008/early 2009 Wayne was diagnosed with Leukemia.  He had to move in with his parents, because they believed that where he lived was contributing to the illness.  When he had chemo treatments with hospital stays, Buddy would stay with different friends for a few days here and there.  Wayne didn't like the idea of Buddy being passed around, but at the time there was no other choice.

Wayne had gone in to remission and Buddy was back to being with his Papa full time.  Unfortunately after Christmas 2009, Wayne became very ill and this time, he did not return home from the hospital.  He wrote my husband and I a letter asking if we would take care of Buddy during his Golden Years.  He knew that we would love him like our own and had a nice yard for him to play in.  We had plenty of love to go around.

Buddy came to live with us permanently at the end of February 2010.  Even though Raja was sick from Bone Cancer, and Mopar was in the final stretch of CCL recovery, Buddy fit in very nicely.  Raja was still the Alpha, and he left Mopar alone.  He has brought many laughs and lots of love to our household.  He amazes me all the time with how he handles changes, and how in tune with our feelings he can be.  We learned that we should not judge a book by its cover and to read a few pages before passing judgment.

Tomorrow you will meet my Mid-life Crisis puppy Rocket.





2 comments:

  1. Oh Mary! I'm so sorry about your brother.

    All of your dogs are adorable! We had a chocolate lab for 14 1/2 years and she could always "read" how we were feeling. I was having a really rough day once and took her to the park. When I couldn't see her anyway, I thought for sure she had run away. Nope. I kid you not when I say she had made her way up the steps to the top of the slide in the playground area in the center of the park and the moment she knew I was watching, she went RIGHT down the slide! It was umbelievable! Cheered me up instantly..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I would give anything to have him back and he'd have to live with us because I'd have a hard time giving up Buddy. =o)

    You have brought a smile to my face as I pictured a chocolate lab on a slide. That is very endearing! Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete