Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Dog Food - Would you eat it?

Many of us think of our dogs as family, as our children and we spend tons of $ on vet bills, toys, boarding etc., but are we paying close attention to what we feed them?

Losing two dogs to cancer, certainly had me changing their diets, and the diets of their brothers.  I learned that corns and grains can actually feed the cancer, so Mopar went on a grain free diet by Canidae, and I upped the quality of food that Samson and Buddy were eating to Canidae All Life Stages.  

I went to the dog food advisor website http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/ and chose brands that had either a 4 or 5 star rating, the first 3 ingredients were either meat (i.e. chicken) or meal (chicken meal) and had not had any food recalls.  Having 3 large dogs I also had to chose food that was also affordable.  I figured I could skimp on the Starbucks coffee so that my dogs could eat better. 

When they deserve a special meal (I'm feeling guilty about being gone too long) I give them Merrick's Wet food which comes in exciting flavors such as Grammy's Pot Pie; Wilderness Blend, Venison Holiday Stew.  It has big chunks of meat and vegetables and doesn't smell half bad.  I've been tempted to lick the spoon but so far haven't.

As for Rocket, who I will admit to all of you is my favorite, I have him on 5 Star Orijen Puppy.  It has a good balance of protein and the first 5 ingredients are:  Fresh boneless chicken, chicken meal, fresh boneless salmon, turkey meal, and herring meal.  It is more expensive but since I only have one on the puppy food, I have splurged.

Take a look at the ingredients that you are feeding your fur kid, and certainly check out the dogfoodadvisor website to decide if you want to change your dog food.  I will tell you that the change for all the dogs, made their coats shinier, any food allergies went away, and combined with exercise, they are all in excellent shape.

4 comments:

  1. This reminds me of a show not long ago that featured a lady who was actually a dog food tester. Yes. She taste-tested dogfood for a living. Sorry...you couldn't pay me enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link. We are sad at my house today. We had to put our 13.9 year old Basset Hound to sleep. He had several tumors in his lungs, had stopped eating, sleeping most of the day, having accidents, throwing up, and so on. It was time to put him out of his misery, but goodness, it is so sad, and our boxer keeps looking out the window and crying--waiting for him to come home, I guess. UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margo - I am so sorry for your loss. I know how horrible it feels, but you gave him the most precious gift by releasing him of his misery. Dogs grieve too, and it will take time. If your Boxer has friends that he enjoys playing with, it can help having doggie play dates.

    ReplyDelete